Donnerstag, 29. September 2016

Mysore

So I arrived in Mysore. A nice city and I felt in the end you could almost reach everything by walking (in the city centre), while other cities are much more massive!
Sadly I decided to go for the real cheap rooms: 200 Rupees. But it was basically ok, indian toilet and shower, no biggy.
But then when I tried the faucetts, they didn't work properly. One was broke (you'd have to use another valve to open it) and the other wasn't drip-proof...
I complained (because working faucetts SHOULD be no big deal and demandable). The reception said: sure! We'll fix it. But they didn't When I arrived in the evening all was the same. So I complained again, now that the manager was there the guy jumped up and tried to fix it. He told me the plumber couldn't come because of the big Ganesh festivities going on.
It was better, but they wanted to show me another room. In total I saw 3 rooms, ALL had the same problems... I had long talks about it with the manager and the other receptionists. I would have adapted (as the manager said all the indian guests do), but just the fact that the guys from the reception didn't really do anything and didn't take me seriously was annoying and made me want to complain. The second evening I came back and asked if it was fixed the guy told me "Yeah!". But it wasn't. Only then they told me they were not able to go into my room, except I was there. Information which would be useful at the first day. But anyway I eventually moved to a deluxe room where everything worked. Maybe for once they actually looked before claiming everything was fine...
So hotel aside, I enjoyed Mysore!
I met a few people, walked through in the evening around the big Mysore Palace and saw beautiful lights. On of the people I met were the german couple (Carina and Tobias). We met to visit a small temple in a village close to Mysore, took a bus and headed there. Close to the place where we had to change buses we encountered a strike. Alot of people were sitting on a big junction of the village and were protesting. The supreme court had forced the state Karnataka to give water to the state of Tamil Nadu. Much to the disaray of the farmers around the area, where the water is supposed to be taken from. This grew bigger and bigger untill some political figures stood aside the farmers and called for the strike. We watched and wondered if we would arrive at the temple... Luckily the other bus station was behind the strike so we were able to get there. The temple was fine, much more expensive than expected, the guy said the prices were raised last month. Carina confirmed, that the prices have also been doubled in Hampi last month... Not happy we bought the tickets and explored the temple.
Here the temple, probably the top is missing(?) and the colours etc. aswell.
It is not really being used as a temple I guess (though some kids came inside to pray at the statues
When we were on our way back we waited at the bis station. And we noticed alot of people were waiting with us aswell, because of the strike (which was apparently still going or just had ended) the buses were late and rather rare. Once we finally got into a very very full bus we were actually able to get through easily. We met again for dinner, because it was there last "proper" day in India! The next day they took a bus to the Bangalore airport to wait there a few hours and then head back to Germany in the early morning. All the best =)
That evening I noticed Maria. A girl from Spain travelling alone. I met her again in the morning for breakfast, we chatted and decided to hang out together.
We visited the Palace in Mysore! A beautiful building! Not too big (at least what is open to the public) and very pretty. The included audioguide was fine aswell, using some funny sayings and oldish words (spanish apparently a little more, because Maria thought it was quite funny). Interesting thing a just amazing. Sadly the guards didn't like people just talking in the hallways so a few times we were asked to move on and not just stand somewhere...
But it is nice. Not just the outside at night, but also the inside.
Front view of the palace by day
From the side
"normal" illumination at night
The grand illumination on sundays (and festival days)

We visited another art gallery, which had some nice pictures of Raja Ravi Varma (a famous artist in India) and some cool musical instruments (no fotos allowed...). I met Carina and Tobias at the bus stop to say good bye to them (and they were kind enough to take back a few things of mine ^^'). On the way I encountered a huge procession, alot of police, men dressed in orange were dancing like crazy and behind that a long line of cars/ loreys with Ganesh statues on top. These were all guarded by people on the trucks, they gave shade to the idols (the sun was shining), watched, that they did not fall and prepped their garlents. A great sight. Probably 10-15 cars were all driving behind one another, some with huge speakers making loud music for the dancing crowd, others just with the Ganesh and kids hanging around.
This is a part of the big Ganesh festival, that goes on for several days in India. It is supposed to be huge in Mumbai, but I saw it in Mysore, Hampi and Goa. When I had finally arrived in Mumbai it was over. (some say it's 2 weeks, others 10 days, probably depending on the region).
Basically the Idea is this: People go through town in a huge parade like thing, making loud noises/ sounds (in Goa they'd use crackers ahead of the Ganesh carrying cars) and by this show devotion to him. People were able to go to one of the big Ganesh trucks (the Ganesh all had different sizes) and recieve flowers/ other blessings. The destination is a river/ lake/ sea/ ocean where they would drop the Ganesh into the water in a ritual. (with songs, prayers and stuff). No priest has to be present (at least I wasn't able to make one out). While I was on the way back to my hotel I met Maria again and we walked with the parade and watched everything happening there. In the very front there were two men dressed up (a little like in the Kathakali costumes I saw in Kochin) doing some theater/ dance. I didn't see this in any other Ganesh procession.
At one point we left, because the closest river/ lake was quite far away and so it could have taken a very loooong time till they arrived their (and maybe another one way their goal). But very fun to watch. A few kids came up to us and asked us our names. They made up names for one another, which probably meant some bad things. The youngest only came up with the word for "bad boy", saying that was the name of a friend on one of the trucks ^^

See the small Ganesh statues on the trucks? Everything in orange and ready for a big festival!

The next day I did a short walk up the Chamundi Hill to a temple. 1000 steps. Hah! Easy! (if you remember, the walk up to Tirumala was 3550 steps)
I walked up, this time with shoes (all others were wearing them aswell). This is much smaller and apparently less known. Many people simply use it as a way to school, shopping etc. About 2/3rd of the way up there was a big Nandi statue (the riding bull of Shiva). And a few small stalls. From that point on I had a dog. She just followed me. I realised at one point something was at my side, this dog. Sometimes she'd walk ahead, sniff in the forest left and right, wait for me to catch up. Sometimes stay behind and hurry back to my side. Pretty cute^^
I guess it was all so the dog could be protected by me from other humans/ dogs/ animals. Though it would scare off the monkeys or whatever is scared of a barking dog. As soon as I reached the top the dog left me and lay down underneath a cart in the shade to relax. No more dog for me =(
The doggy on my side for the walk up
View on the steps (the colours are put there by devotees)
Awesome centipede! (matching the colours of the steps!)
1000 steps! Woohoo ;-)
The Gopuram on top, currently being renovated
The temple had a big Gopuram, which was under construction and the view was that great from the top, but the walk up was nice.
I walked a little through the village on the top, saw there were much more touristy shops etc. here and even priests selling stuff like other vendors (sitting on the street with baskets infront of them). I walked back down, met Maria once again and we planned to meet in the afternoon.
This didn't happen, because on the way she heard of a big strike in Karnataka on friday. Apparently everything would stand still. She was worried and headed to her hotel, where we met one last time and she then headed back to Bangalore, to be closer to her flight on friday evening.
On the way I was searching for a post office to send back some spices and stuff to Germany. I decided to take the service of the "Indian Post", because it cost about 2000 Rupees for 4,1 kg while DHL cost about 9000 for the same weight (box etc would still be extra).
So I sent a package to Germany (it already arrived! Yeah!)
The next day was the strike. The hotel people told me everything would be closed, I should brace myself. I didn't really think about it being so big...
On friday the 9th of September the state wide strike started in Karnataka, to oppose the supreme court from taking their water and giving it to Tamil Nadu. And everything was closed. EVERYTHING! No small stalls, no shops, no restaurants were open. All schools, colleges, public buildings and so one were shut down aswell. When I walked out in search for breakfast I was suprised to find Mysore almost a ghost town. The streets around the hotel are usually quite busy but today nothing. Maybe 2 people walking around. Then I heard loud shouting and honking approaching. A group of 2wheelers, rickshaws and such were rushing down the road yelling stuff, waving the state flag and driving through the small streets. People told me they were making sure that all shops are closed and stay closed. The hotel told me "They are not dangerous for people, but for the shops and businesses, thats why we keep our doors locked, should they come by." Finally I saw a restaurant whose door was slightly opened and people inside. They let me in and I had some breakfast. Soon they shut the door and their security cameras pointing at the street showed the gang of scooters driving past! After I finished I headed out again and slendered through town. It was amazing how empty everything was. Really no one was working, probably scared of what the biker gang might do to their shop.
At one point I was suprised by a group of men, who were about to take pictures for the protest and they put me in the middle, so I might be in some newspapers "Even foreigners support our cause!" "Germany is at our side and wants us to keep OUR water!!!!!!"
The Mahatma Gandhi circle, usually really busy, now empty:
Me posing for the camera. Leave our water in our state! Justice!
Here comes the gang! Driving through the small streets in Mysore
And they drive off again, searching for open stores to storm into!
And I say what about: New Bombay Tiffanys? She said I think I remember the dosa!
Infront of the big Bazaar. Also usually really busy, now you don't have to worry to cross the street to... closed stores...
No idea... At least they told me I'd be in the paper with the british couple I met there in the crowd. We strolled through town together, found a place for lunch and then I headed back to the hotel to pack my stuff and hoped the trains would really not be affected by the strike so I'd be able to get to Hampi.
And they were not affected luckily. SO off I went to Hampi, leaving Mysore behind.

Random picture of the day: Sheep spraypainted to look like Tigers


1 Kommentar:

  1. Geniale Schafe!!! xD Ich wünschte wir würden die Zeitungsausgabe bekommen in der du erscheinst... Einrahmen und so : D

    AntwortenLöschen